Menu Close

Things to do When Your House has Mold

Mold grows very quickly in wet and damp areas and may go undetected until it becomes visible or you start experiencing symptoms of mold exposure. Excessive moisture under floors, behind walls, or closets create the perfect breeding ground for mold. Although mold can grow anywhere in your home, it is more common in bathrooms and basements due to their high levels of moisture. Whether you rent or own your home, it is important to learn how to protect yourself from mold by taking necessary steps to eliminate it and prevent it from reoccurring. This article looks at some of the things you need to do when your house has mold.

  • Identify the Source of Mold

It is easy to recognize mold growing in a visible area. However, there are times when you notice a musty odor but cannot see any visible signs of mold. One of the ways you can check for mold is by pinpointing the exact source of the odor. Mold tends to grow in hidden areas and crawlspaces away from light such as behind walls, under your sofa, or in dark corners. The musty earthy odor of mold often resembles the smell of dirt and rotting leaves. Check around areas with sources of moisture such as the bathroom, kitchen or basement.

Professionals use a moisture meter to check for elevated humidity. Keep in mind that identifying the source of musty odor can be risky as you can accidentally inhale mold spores in the process. It is important to wear protective gear or seek professional help from a mold inspector, as they are experts in identifying the exact source of mold.

  • Testing for Mold

Mold testing helps detect the presence of mold and determine areas where it is deeply concentrated in a home. While you may inspect your home for mold, you can never know how far it extends unless you conduct a mold test. Choosing the DIY route for mold testing means that you have to take samples from the areas suspected of mold contamination and sending them off to be tested in a lab. While this option may save you some bucks, it is not an effective way of determining the extent of mold contamination in your home. Many professional mold testing companies give your home a thorough inspection to detect all the areas affected by mold. It also reduced your risk of being exposed to mold when collecting samples from contaminated surfaces.

  • Removing Mold From Your Home

It is important to contact your insurance company to determine whether your insurance policy covers mold removal. In most cases, your insurer may not approve your claim for mold removal as it often depends on what caused the mold. Once you get your mold test results, you need to decide if you will hire a professional or do it yourself. Mold removal is a risky undertaking as you could get exposed to large amounts of mold spores.

A professional mold remediation company is in a better position to remove mold from your home as they have the right skills and equipment to deal with mold. The main reason why some people choose to remove mold on their own is the idea that they will be saving money. However, it is not recommended to remove mold on your own as it could lead to serious health problems and expensive lawsuits in the future.

  • Controlling the Source of Moisture

Mold will continue to grow as long as it finds favorable conditions for its existence. It is important to discard any porous materials that were affected by molds such as wood or fabric. It is also important to repair any leaking roofs or broken pipes, as they are some of the primary causes of mold. You can also prevent water from finding its way into your basement by reshaping your landscape to slope away from your exterior siding. Ventilating the shower, cooking areas, and your laundry are also important as they help to control the levels of moisture and humidity in your home. Lastly, you need to test for mold after remediation as it ensures there are no traces of mold spores left in your home.

Mold can damage your property and cause serious health problems if it is allowed to grow out of control. This means that you will always be exposed to mold spores every time you are home. This can be dangerous for people who are asthmatic or highly sensitive to mold.  It is possible to get rid of mold as long as you control the sources of moisture in your home. You will not only protect your health, but also save your home from damage and costly repairs in the future.

Related Posts