Menu Close

Why is Mold Testing Important to Your Health?

For many home and business owners, mold testing seems like just another thing to worry about. There are already so many expenses and hassles involved—who has the time or money for mold testing on top of everything else?

But when you consider the health benefits of a mold-free environment—not to mention the health risks involved when mold is present—it becomes obvious that mold testing is a real consideration. In fact, by testing now and avoiding long-term exposures, some people may be able to avoid serious problems later on.

Here are the biggest health problems that people face from exposure to mold: Click here to learn more.

Respiratory infections

Mold spores enter a person’s respiratory system undetected through the air. Once there, they cause irritation of all sorts. You may experience burning or tingling sensations in the nose, mouth and throat. Long-term exposure can lead to serious respiratory and sinus infections that require medical treatment. Breathing mold spores is definitely not healthy!

Neurological problems

Some types of mold are actually toxic to the brain over time. They can bring about symptoms such as “mental fog,” dizziness, headache and other issues. People who have lived for years in mold infested buildings are often amazed at how much better they feel when they move out. Bottom line: The brain does not react well to large quantities of mold spores entering the body.

Vision and eye problems

The eyes are precious instruments that do not like foreign invaders. When mold spores come into contact with a person’s eyes, symptoms can range from inflammation or bloodshot eyes, to vision itself actually worsening over time. Human eyes are very good at keeping things out, but mold spores are small enough to float unperceived through the air and enter.


The presence of mold spores in the body can trigger specific immune responses which bring about fatigue. A person may feel increasingly tired and weak as the days past, and may also experience aches and pains in the muscles and joints.

Skin irritation including rash

The breathing passages aren’t the only way for mold spores to enter the body. It can enter through the skin as well. Handling moldy items, or being exposed to mold in the air for long periods of time, can bring about inflammation, rash, blisters, and even dermatitis. The skin likes a good balance of dryness and moisture—but it definitely does not like mold!

The list of potential health problems does, unfortunately, go on. The good news is that with proper mold testing and remediation, health risks can be reduced quickly and effectively.

If you’ve got anything to add to this list, or would like to post a question, please do so in the space below!

Related Posts