Indoor air quality is very essential especially for young children and individuals with compromised immune systems. Mold can grow in hidden areas around your house where they may go undetected for a long time until people start becoming sick. Most often, you will find mold growing in dark areas, wet materials, damp basements and other places with high levels of moisture.
A musty odor is usually one of the major indicators of the occurrence of mold in a home. If you suspect any presence of mold, but you are unable to locate its source after an endless search, then you will need to carry out a mold test. This article looks into several reasons why you need to test for the presence of mold.
1. To Locate Hidden Mold
This is one of the primary reasons why you need mold testing especially when you have troubles finding the location of mold. Although the musty odor may be an early indicator of the presence of mold in a home, a test helps to identify areas where the mold is hidden. It also determines places with high levels of mold spores in the air to determine the justification for remediation. In most cases, the insurance or remediation companies can only undertake mold remediation if there is a scientific demonstration of its presence and location.
2. Constant Allergic Reactions
If you are experiencing allergic reactions such as itchy eyes, coughing, or sneezing every time you walk inside your home, then it is important to take a mold test. This helps to establish the presence and remedial action because your indoor air quality is compromised. People who are sensitive to mold will experience these symptoms more often every time they come into contact with mold spores lingering in the air. Since most of the mold goes undetected for a long time, it can be difficult to determine the underlying cause of your allergic reactions without testing for mold.
3. Failure to Disclose Information when Selling a Property
Real estate agents may fail to disclose full information about a property when closing a real estate transaction. Disclosing the presence of mold in a real estate is not universally mandatory which means that sellers or agents may fail to warn a potential buyer that their home is affected by molds. In other situations, a homeowner could simply replace sheetrock or paint over exposed molds. It acts as a temporary remedy which leads to recurring mold once you have moved into a home. This makes it difficult to determine any presence of mold in a new house because it is impossible to tell by just looking. A mold test can help discover the presence of mold underneath the painting.
4. Mold Remediation is Costly
Failure to test for mold before buying a new home can wreak havoc a few months after moving in. A homeowner is likely to encounter recurring mold that was temporarily hidden by paint or other items in the house. This may call for mold remediation, which can turn out to be costly on your side as the new homeowner. Carrying out a mold test before purchasing a new home can help save extra costs of removing mold after closing the real estate transaction.
5. Legal Issues
There are times when we need to get involved in the legal process because different states have their own rules and regulations regarding a real estate transaction. Mold test results can help back up your claims as evidence in situations where you happen to buy a home that is exposed to mold. Without a mold test, it is impossible to file a complaint in court that you moved into a home that has issues with indoor air quality.
6. It gives You Peace of Mind
A mold test will give you peace of mind when you know your home is free of mold, meaning that you and your family are safe from its serious health effects. Having an idea of the status of your indoor air quality gives an assurance of a healthy lifestyle free from mold-related illnesses.
Testing for mold is worth the cost because it is important for your family’s health and safety. Since we spend most of the time indoors, a mold test helps to improve our indoor air quality and keep everyone safe from inhaling or ingesting toxic mold spores. It is always a good idea to know the status of a home before purchasing it to ensure you are at no risk of exposure.