Menu Close

What Your Pet Could Be Telling You About Mold

petsPart of why mold is such a nuisance is that it’s hard to detect. While some types of mold are more visible than others, it’s always a possibility that mold is growing where you can’t see it. In such cases, you have to rely on other factors to alert you to the presence of mold.

Health problems in people are one way to know that mold is lurking in your home. Symptoms exhibited by pets are another possibility. Most homeowners are aware that mold presents specific health risks to human beings, but they don’t always realize that pets (and most biological organisms, for that matter) are also susceptible to mold.

So how do you know that your pet may be experiencing mold-related symptoms? Is it possible to use these warning signs to your advantage and get a head-start on combating your mold problem?

Here are some of the symptoms your pet may exhibit if he or she has been exposed to mold.

Constant scratching, but no fleas

Mold spores can actually take up residence in the hide or coat of animals, and the skin of a cat or dog can easily become irritated by the presence of mold. When this happens, the animal will often scratch incessantly at the affected area. If your pet is scratching more than usual, and there are no fleas involved, you may be looking at signs of a mold problem. Secondary symptoms to excessive scratching include wounds/sores, loss of hair, and a constant urge to lick the affected area.

Allergy affects

Like humans, animals are allergic to various airborne particles—including many types of mold. Your mold-affected pet may cough and sneeze. Her nose may constantly run, and her eyes may water more than usual. If your pet exhibits these traits, and you aren’t sure what the problem could be, you might want to call a mold testing specialist into your home.

Breathing problems

Mold spores wreak havoc on the respiratory systems of humans and pets alike, leading to all kinds of breathing difficulties. Pets often wheeze when exposure to mold spores is prolonged, and their breathing will often be fast even while they’re at rest. Don’t delay in taking your furry friend to the vet if you notice these symptoms.

Lethargy

Due to the stress mold puts on your pet’s respiratory and immune systems, the animal will often become less energetic and prone to sleeping more. If your pet isn’t as active as he normally is, it might be time for a trip to the vet and a professional mold inspection in your home.

Protecting people and pets from mold

Mold presents distinct health risks to all of the members of your family, including pets. If your pet seems ill, the first order of business is to seek medical attention at your local vet. After that, you’ll want to know the exact nature of the mold problem in your home and how to resolve it. For this, a call to your local mold remediation and mold testing specialist will help clarify the way forward.

We hope this info has been useful. Please comment below!

Related Posts