Menu Close

What Happens When You Breathe In Mold Spores?

Mold exposure is common in many households and inhalation of the spores happens often since mold is present in the house and outside the house. It is therefore quite tough for anyone to live in a mold free area. The growth of mold results to the release of spores into the air where they are readily inhaled. If this inhalation happens in a larger scale, you may get ill. This alarming health concerns posed by the spores inhalation therefore necessitate thorough cleaning in our households and the surrounding environment just as a preventative measure. The measures aid to curtail any mold growth by ensuring that it does not thrive.

Many people are oblivious regarding what happens when one breathes in mold spores while some are just completely unaware. This article discusses what happens after mold spores inhalation, the symptoms, diagnosis and eventual treatment.

Can Mold Affect Your Health?

This is dependent on several factors such as age, amount of exposure and if you have certain allergies. This is because mold produces irritants that might culminate into very serious adverse reactions.

What Happens When You Breathe In Mold Spores?

Some people may experience varying allergic reactions such as dermatitis, sneezing, wheezing, sore throat, running nose, sinusitis, teary eyes and very serious nasal congestion. Breathing in mold spores may also result to bouts of asthma attacks, breathing difficulty and pneumonia although it is often a rarity. Studies have also revealed that kids and infants have an elevated risk of getting asthma by the age of six or seven after exposure to mold in their early stages of growth.

Some people have a very frail immune system hence they experience infectious diseases after mold exposure. This often affects their eyes by making them itchy. The lungs and the skin may also be affected if the immune system is exceedingly compromised. This is because a weak immune system completely overreacts when you breathe in mold spores. People whose HIV has spiraled out of control and cancer and transplant patients are very prone and susceptible to varying fungal infections after breathing in mold spores. These symptoms are triggered by a response of a very weak or sensitive immune system.

In addition to this, mold has a very pungent smell, which upon inhalation causes irritation, headache and nausea. These symptoms are likely to be worse if the individual is allergic to mold.

Risk Factors

Any problems and symptoms resulting from breathing in mold spores might be enhanced by poor ventilation, excess humidity, working in an environment with high mold exposure, and a family with a history of allergies.

Diagnosis

Diagnosis for mold exposure is through tests of certain mold antibodies. The test is somewhat inconclusive as it only depicts that you have been exposed to or inhaled mold spores without revealing where this took place and the specific amount of exposure. This renders it quite difficult to discern whether the symptoms being cited emanate from breathing in mold spores.

However, a doctor can know about your mold allergy by evaluating your symptoms, and family and medical history. Blood tests and skin prick tests are also conducted in order to know more about any potential allergies to mold that you might have. For people with a weak immune system, further blood tests are conducted for purposes of veracity and accuracy.

Treatment

You should seek immediate treatment by consulting a physician for testing and cure in case you have been exposed to mold and if the symptoms are quite persistent. Nasal rinsing, nasal or oral decongestants, antihistamines and corticosteroids all aid in the treatment of ailments resulting from mold spores inhalation.

Based on the foregoing, you can clearly see the types of symptoms and reactions that emanate from breathing in mold spores, which are allergic reactions like sneezing and wheezing. It may also result to breathing issues and asthma attacks upon great exposure. Allergic people should therefore limit their exposure to mold in order to prevent these adverse reactions. Medication is also vital as it aids to keep these types of reactions in control. It is imperative for you to eliminate any possible mold in your home and to take preventative measures to ensure that it does not resurface. Some prevention tips you should consider include properly ventilating your home and fixing any plumbing issues. If you happen to experience these symptoms, it could be a high time for you to deal with the mold issues that you are facing by calling in mold professionals to help you.

Related Posts