Menu Close

Mold in Your Home: Is it Harmless or Toxic?

toxicAs a homeowner, you probably aren’t interested in becoming a mold expert. In addition to your own professional focus, you have all the duties and responsibilities of being a homeowner. Gone are the days when you could simply report problems to the landlord and wait for a solution. Anything that goes wrong has to be taken care of by you. If not, it doesn’t get taken care of at all.

This is precisely why mold deserves more attention than it gets. Of all the things that could go astray in terms of your property, mold is one of the most problematic. Why? Because it can be difficult to detect, for one thing. It can spread slowly and invisibly, behind the scenes. And it’s harmful. It presents a long list of health risks, and it threatens the integrity (and market value) of your property to boot.

There is a lot of confusion about mold among homeowners. Is there only one type of residential mold? If there are numerous varieties, are all of them equally damaging? Are some harmless and others toxic?

These are all valid questions, and if you really want to protect your home and family, it’s necessary to find answers.

In reality, there are dozens of common residential molds, any one of which could be growing in or around your home. Some of these molds are more toxic than others. Some molds trigger allergic reactions in some people but not others. All residential molds, however, can become a large scale problem that eventually degrades property value and requires a hefty investment to clean up and resolve. That’s why it’s important to address mold problems as soon as you notice them.

Another interesting fact about molds is that have a variety of appearances. Even the same strain of mold can appear in different colors, from white or green to blue or even orange. You may be somewhat schooled in the different varieties of mold, but knowing exactly which type of mold you’re dealing with is still extremely difficult without scientific lab testing.

So which type of mold is the worst? When people talk about “toxic” or “black” mold that can really cause serious health problems, what are they talking about? The answer is Stachybotrys, a variety of mold that often takes on a black, slick appearance. This type of mold is definitely not something you want to play around with. You should call a mold specialist immediately if you notice something that could be Stachybotrys, but remember—other types of mold can sometimes be mistaken for Stachybotrys. A professional assessment is the only way to know for absolute certain.

Even if the mold growing in your home is not Stachybotrys or one of the other more toxic varieties of mold, it may still trigger mold allergies in people and pets. Most common varieties of residential mold have been labeled as health risks by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and other government agencies.

Keeping your property mold-free is the goal, and in order to achieve it over the long term, a good mold prevention strategy is called for. Homeowners who are unsure as to whether they currently have mold—or those who simply want peace of mind and solid advice on mold prevention—should look for a qualified mold removal specialist in their area, and reach out for a low-cost or free consultation.

Here’s a mold free home! Please feel free to leave your feedback in the area below this post.

Related Posts