Menu Close

How to Know if Your Health Symptoms are Mold Related

mold causes sicknessCoughing, sneezing, watery eyes. Dizziness, fatigue, even short-term memory loss and motor skill impairment. What do all of these symptoms have in common? They’re all documented symptoms of exposure to residential mold. If you live in an old property, a humid locality, or a house that has never been checked for mold, it’s important to learn about the various reactions mold can actually trigger in the human body.

The tricky thing is that these symptoms can also be related to other causes. So how do you know that mold is really the culprit? Should you call a mold testing specialist and have your home assessed right away? Could a doctor determine whether or not mold is the cause of your symptoms? Is it possible that you be overreacting?

Let’s take these questions one at a time to increase our understanding of mold and mold-related health issues.

How do I know if mold is the cause?

Knowing whether or not mold is behind your health symptoms is sometimes not easy. But there’s a simple way to “zero in” on the problem. Simple ask the two following questions:

Are inhabitants and/or visitors to my home exhibiting mold-related symptoms, as listed by Poison Control or other official health agencies?

Are the conditions in or around my home conducive to mold-growth, as determined by seasoned mold remediation professionals?

If multiple symptoms of mold exposure are present, along with favorable conditions (humidity, lack of ventilation, water damage, etc.) for mold growth, there’s a reasonable chance you have unwanted mold growing in your home. At the very least, it’s a possibility that needs to be ruled out.

Should I call a mold testing specialist immediately?

The fact is that mold assessment and prevention visits aren’t all that expensive, especially when you consider the peace of mind they can bring. If your home has a mold problem, you’ll know about it definitively, and you’ll know how to move forward. If no mold problem is found, you can rest easy and strengthen your mold prevention strategies for the future.

Can a doctor determine mold to be the cause of symptoms?

In a word, yes—there are blood and urine tests that can confirm the presence of mycotoxins and biotoxins on the body. These tests aren’t always 100% conclusive, but acute exposure to mold can often be detected by medical science.

Could I be overreacting?

Mold is a scary prospect—especially if you’re only just learning about it. You may be wondering whether you and your family may have been exposed to mold for weeks, months or even years without knowing it.

However, there is usually no cause for alarm. If the mold growth in your home were out of control, there would probably be visible signs and noticeable odors along with your symptoms. Calling a mold removal specialist right away, however, is a smart way to make sure that a “moderate” mold problem which is causing a few health symptoms does not develop into a “severe” problem with greater costs to your health and finances.

Related Posts