Menu Close

What Happens When Kids Are Exposed to Mold

There is much more than meets the eye when it comes to health effects of mold, including common white mold that grows on rotten food. Upon exposure to mold, the airways start producing overly more mucus that affects normal breathing. As a result, you may experience wheezing, coughing, and runny nose. This becomes even worse for kids and the elderly because these two groups of people have a weak or compromised immune system. Unfortunately, allergies are not the only concern and this why mold should be dealt with on its onset. This article looks at the effects of mold on kids.

  • It Causes Allergies

The most common and biggest issue with mold exposure amongst kids is allergies. Among the signs and symptoms to look out for include runny nose, shortness of breath, coughs, sneezes, and wheezing. If your kid displays one of the above signs, then it is clear that they could be suffering from allergies because of mold exposure. As previously mentioned, mold exposure poses serious health problems in kids because they have an underdeveloped immune system that cannot fully fight off allergies.

Asthma-inflamed bronchial tube
Prolonged exposure to mold can even result in asthma in kids and this is why all measures should be taken to maintain the best air quality in the house.

  • They Become Depressed

Due to prolonged exposure to mold, kids often become fatigued and tired because of a weak and compromised immune system. Fatigue in children leads to stress which in turn ends up in depression over time. The ripple effect of depression in children is the loss of interest in their favorite games, play, and education. They often lock up themselves in their rooms, crying and they may even exhibit suicidal thoughts. It, therefore, means that as you get rid of mold in your house, you should put in efforts to treat anxiety and depression in your kids. You do not know the magnitude of the damage the mold had caused in your kids.

  • Chances of Developing Asthma

Kids are not the only ones affected by mold problems. Adults allergic to mold can also develop asthmatic symptoms upon exposure to black mold. If adults are this affected by mold, you can imagine the magnitude of effects of mold on kids allergic to it. Mold spores, upon being inhaled through the nose, settle on the alveoli. Due to this blockage, the kid has trouble in breathing. If your kid is experiencing some asthmatic symptoms, you might want to evaluate the air quality in your house because the cause could be lying in mold issues.

  • They May Become Confused and Disoriented

As previously mentioned, mold exposure kills and affects the normal functioning of neurons in the brain. The effect of this is manifested in the staggering state of mind, which leads to confusion and disorientation amongst kids. This could be one of the many reasons for learning challenges and short span concentration in studies.

  • They May Experience Memory Loss

Health problems are not the only dangers of living with mold in your house; it also kills neurons in the brain. Since neurons are tasked with the transmission of information that results in different actions by organs, your normal body functions may be impacted or slowed. One of the many effects of neurotoxicity is memory loss because the neurons tasked with memory are dead and can thus not deliver the right information to the brain.

  • They May Develop Learning Disabilities

Due to memory loss because of prolonged exposure to mold, kids may sometimes develop or experience learning disabilities. This may lead to a drop in concentration in class, which means even the grades will be poor. Although the majority of learning disabilities are associated with psychological and mental issues, sometimes they may be due to the death of neurons by the mold. That being said, you should shift your focus on mental issues when unearthing causes of learning disabilities in your kids to health-related issues like mold exposure.

As an adult, mold exposure might not affect you as much as your kids. You and your companion might be well but for your kids, they generally become ill. The thing with youngsters is that they lack a strong immune system. Your kids’ immune system is not functioning admirably and it cannot fend off microorganisms. The truth of the matter is that youngsters cannot adapt to such medical issues. To avoid any problems for your child, consider dealing with mold as soon as you see any signs.

Related Posts