Menu Close

Is It Safe To Live In a House With Mold?

Regardless of whether it is a chilly, soggy winter or a warm, muggy summer, mold can thrive in any condition, especially in damp places. Mold can develop on dividers, garments, books, toys, and even CDs. It can transform prized assets into smelly relics that solitary look fit for the trash. Toxins can influence the body’s focal sensory system just as the insusceptible framework and molds are in the poison class. At the point when the body is gone up against mold contamination, its capacities are undermined, explicitly those situated in the frontal cortex, where critical thinking, memory, and driving forces are controlled. This article looks at whether it is safe to live in a house with mold.

  • It Causes Allergies

Mold, especially black mold, is the single leading cause of allergies in people. When growing, mold produces some spores that hover in the atmosphere in the house. It, therefore, means that if mold is growing even if it is in the hard to reach corner, you are still at risk that come with having mold. This is because the spores will fly from the corner and spread to the rest of the house. Upon inhaling the spores, the body reacts by making you sneeze, itchy throat, watery eyes, and cough or have a runny nose because of the irritation of the nasal cavity.

  • Circulatory Conditions

Mold is the second largest contributor to circulatory related diseases such as asthma and chronic sinuses. When mold spores enter the body through the nasal cavity, the body reacts by activating the airways to produce so much mucus. This mucus inhibits the normal breathing. At such a time, you will experience shortness of breath coupled with some wheezing sound. If that feeling escalates, you may end up developing asthma. At other times, you may experience allergies that may last for so long, leading to chronic sinuses, bronchitis and ultimately pneumonia.

  • It Affects Your Mood

Due to exposure to mold spores, you may experience all sorts of allergies that manifest in forms of a runny nose, watery eyes, itchy scrappy throat, sneezing, and coughs. Sometimes you may develop sinuses, difficulty in breathing and even asthma. Usually, these are more frequent in people with compromised immune systems. All these lead to the feelings of sickness and loneliness, which may even escalate to depression should the allergies persist for long. There has not been a substantial link between mold exposure and depression, where statistics show that most people who live in houses infested with mold exhibit symptoms of depression.

  • It Affects Your Pets

Mold does not just pose a health risk to you and your loved ones; it is also a health risk to your pets. Just like in humans, when pets are exposed to mold, they respond almost in the same way as humans do. They develop all sorts of allergies and illnesses after inhaling mold spores. They do not have a strong immune system as humans and are thus affected more severely by the mold spores. Since you are not prepared to part ways with your fluffy friend, have the mold remediated at first sight.

  • Loss of Sense of Smell

A research was conducted by exposing mice to black mold. After the research, findings indicated that a toxin, Stachybotrys Chartarum irritated the nasal cavity of the mice. It was also found out that the part of the brain that is responsible for the sense of smell was damaged. The researchers, therefore, concluded that mold was responsible for the loss of sense of smell in the mice, and can as well cause the same loss in humans because most control experiments are conducted using mice and guinea pigs. Since the part of the brain responsible for the sense of smell is connected to the memory part, mold is said to cause memory loss.

Every single indoor area has some mold spores in them. However, this does not have a great influence on many people. Nevertheless, individuals with an undermined immune system may be at a higher risk of sickness, and particularly lung issues, if there are many mold spores. Others may encounter unfavorably susceptible responses. Keeping an indoor space perfect, dry, and very much ventilated is the ideal approach to keep mold from recreating. Better still, have the air quality in your house tested for mold, and have it remediated as soon as you spot it. If you are not sure whether you are dealing with the acceptable mold levels, consider calling in professionals for testing.

Related Posts