Black mold grows in damp and humid areas and feeds on organic materials such as insulation, drywall, carpet or subflooring exposed to moisture. It is important to take necessary precautions if you suspect you have black mold to prevent serious health complications that might result from exposure. Since there is no way of telling the amount of black mold present in your home, it is advisable to seek help from professionals, as they have the necessary equipment and skills to handle your situation. In this article, we will be discussing what you need to do once you notice signs of black mold in your home.
Request for a Professional Mold Test
A professional mold test can tell the extent of mold invasion in your home to see whether it can be removed individually or by professionals. If you are up to the task of cleaning black mold by yourself, you need to prepare adequately by wearing protective gear. This includes rubber gloves, eye protection, work clothes, and a mask or respirator to filter out the disturbed mold spores. Other items you may need during mold remediation include rags, scrub brush, commercial products, a fan and plastic garbage bag for correct disposal.
Cleaning Mold from Hard Surfaces
Any visible mold needs to be cleaned as soon as possible to prevent it from spreading to other areas in your home. Damping the affected area with water before removing the mold using soap and other commercial products prevents the mold spores from spreading through the air. A scrub brush helps remove thicker patches of mold on hard surfaces. Once you are done with the procedure, it is important to dispose of all the dirt and debris correctly. Afterward, you need to wash off the mold spores from your clothing and other equipment to ensure no mold traces are left unattended.
Reasons Why You Should Not Remove Mold by Yourself
As you can see, a DIY mold remediation project can be a very tiresome exercise especially if you are doing it alone. Furthermore, it is quite expensive as you need to have all the necessary equipment that prevent direct contact with the mold spores. There are many dangers of removing black mold on your own, which puts you at risk of spreading it further rather than solving the problem. It is always important to take necessary precautions when addressing black mold invasion in your home since there are high risks of mold exposure. Here are some of the reasons why you should not remove black mold on your own.
Mold removal specialists handle the toxic black mold using a variety of high-tech equipment such as heavy-duty products, containment systems, air filters, and protective gear. If you lack any of this equipment when performing a DIY mold removal, you risk putting yourself in danger of mold exposure.
It is difficult to get rid of black mold since it usually grows in hidden places such as air vents or behind dry walls. There is a high likelihood of missing out the primary sources where mold grows in your home. It is also possible to miss vital areas that need to undergo proper treatment for full remediation.
Mold spores that are released in the air when attempting a DIY remediation project can spread if they are not contained properly during removal. This can make mold spread onto other areas in your home, causing a much larger problem.
Professional black mold remediation
Porous materials that have been infested with molds such as carpets, drywall, and ceiling tiles should be replaced. It is recommended to call in professional mold remediation specialists in cases of extensive mold damage. Black mold can be handled in a professional way by trained experts who have all the necessary tools and equipment to get the job done.
They understand the risks and worries associated with black mold remediation and are equipped with the right skill set to deal with the problem. They also ensure correct disposal after removal and develop a customized plan for treatment that suits your household needs.
Although it may be tempting to handle the mold problem on your own, we recommend seeking help from mold remediation professionals, as they have experience in removing black mold. This prevents you from exposure to black mold spores because they cause severe allergies and health complications. It is always important to take necessary precautions every time you notice signs of black mold in your home.