Menu Close

Does Mold Removal Damage the Environment?

Most people, whenever possible, seek products and services that do not harm the environment. This is an important and commendable trait, because even if the actions of one person or family may not seem to make a difference, everything adds up over time.

remidiationBut what about getting rid of mold? How does environmental-friendliness relate to mold remediation? Is it possible to undertake a mold removal project, whether small or large-scale, without using harsh chemicals or other methods that harm the environment?

The short answer is yes—professional mold remediation, while it does make use of fungicides, has minimal impact on the surrounding environment. More importantly, it removes something that is downright dangerous to your personal environment: Mold!

But many people wonder whether natural DIY mold removal methods can’t achieve the same result. The answer, in the vast majority of cases, is unfortunately no.

There are a few everyday natural products out there that can work against mold. Three of the most commonly used and discussed by DIY mold removers are tea tree extracts, grapefruit seed extracts, and vinegar. The most popular method is to make a homemade “spray”using these products and water in various combinations, and applying the spray directly to walls, floors, or any surface on which mold appears to have grown.

This method is usually effective when 1) the infestation is very small, 2) the surface involved is not very porous, 3) a generous quantity of the product is used, and 4) other mold prevention measures are taken to prevent the colony from re-growing.

The problems here are several: 1) most infestations are more extensive than what is visible, 2) large quantities of extracts and vinegar can be expensive (not to mention the odors), 3) many household surfaces (carpets, upholstery, curtains, wood, drywall, wallpaper, etc.) are very porous, and 4) people often treat the surface problem without considering the possible extent of the colony.

None of this is to say that people should, instead, turn to harsh chemicals like bleach or borax to treat mold problems on a DIY basis. If other chemicals are ineffective, these are downright dangerous. Handling them can be hazardous to your health, especially without proper protective gear. In fact, if you are going to attempt DIY mold removal, it may be better to use products that aren’t toxic to your skin and respiratory system. At least this way you’ll avoid putting your health at risk (which is probably why you’re tackling mold in the first place!).

The costs of a persistent, hidden mold infestation can be very high—not only in terms of money, but in terms of something far more important: Your health and the health of your family. The cost of professional mold testing and remediation might be comparatively low, and any quality mold removal company will take utmost care to protect both your home and the ambient environment.

If nothing else, scheduling a low-cost (or in some cases, free) mold assessment with a professional can help you determine the extent of the problem, and give you the opportunity to discuss environmental concerns directly with them.
Do you have questions or comments about this post, or anything related to mold removal and environmental friendliness? Please join the discussion in the space below.

Related Posts