Molds are microscopic organisms that grow anywhere as long as the environment meets the conditions favorable for their growth. Living in a mobile or an automobile home can be quite fun but that does not mean that they are an exception when it comes to mold exposure.
This type of fungi feeds on organic material such as paper, wood, or leaves and it is most likely that your mobile home may contain some of these substances. Moisture accelerates the growth of molds in the affected area thus increasing their spread. As long as your mobile home contains high levels of humidity or moisture, there are high chances of exposure to the toxic mold.
There are no established standards as to which quantity of mold is acceptable, normal or tolerable. Any exposure to mold can lead to serious health problems in both children and adults. This article looks into the major causes of mold growth in mobile homes and how to be safe from mold exposure.
How to look for Mold in a Mobile Home
There are situations where you can feel a musty smell but cannot see the mold. Dealing with hidden mold is one of the major problems encountered by most homeowners. If you are catching the scent but are having trouble locating the mold then the best way is to search for places that meet the favorable conditions for mold growth.
Mobile homes have composite wood in cabinets, floors, and wood structural framing, all of which are organic materials from which molds grow. The paper in drywall supports fungal growth and is usually accelerated by high levels of moisture. When looking for mold in your mobile home, focus on wet areas and other organic materials that favor growth. Some of these areas include the base of toilets, under sinks, bathtubs, and showers, and the indoor unit of an air conditioner. The trim at windows and doors as well as roof leaks significantly contribute to moisture buildup and thus attracting molds in your mobile home.
Health Risks from Mold in Automobile Interiors
No matter how clean you keep your mobile home, mold spores that keep floating in the air will always find a way inside your house. This puts you and your family in harm’s way since you are more likely to develop mold-related illnesses. Although you may have a strong immunity or insensitivity to mold, extreme exposure over time breaks down your ability to withstand the toxic effects.
When this happens, you become sick and you start experiencing symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, sore throat, and other respiratory infections. People with a weakened immune system will suffer from allergic reactions such as itchy, sneezing, coughing, and a runny nose.
Asthma attacks and difficulties in breathing mostly affects individuals who are highly sensitive to mold spores and any other form of allergies. If you experience any of these symptoms every time you walk into your mobile home, then it is necessary that you seek immediate medical attention to determine the underlying cause of the problem.
How to Prevent Mold Exposure in Automobile Homes?
Mold thrives well in a warm and moist environment. Inhaling or ingesting mold spores over a prolonged period could cause serious health problems in an individual. Mobile homes that are not properly weatherproofed during transportation could lead to condensation-induced structural damage. However, this problem can be mitigated during installation and occupation.
First, it is recommended to set up your mobile home in an area where water will drain away from the house. Installing a ground cover will help prevent moisture from entering your home from below. You can create a tight seal along the insulation’s interior edge using a non-porous gasket. The dryer exhaust duct should slope downhill and have proper support to prevent moisture buildup in your home.
It is also important to detect and fix any leaks once you have already settled in the house. Leaks can emanate from windows, doors, appliances or your plumbing. You can control moisture or humidity using a dehumidifier and cutting off any sources of excess moisture in your home.
Molds can grow in mobile or automobile homes as long as there are favorable conditions for fungal growth. It is always important to take necessary measures when you notice musty odors, allergies or visual signs of mold growth. Cutting off sources of excess moisture helps to prevent the growth of molds, thus keeping you safe from any mold-related illnesses.