Menu Close

After Exposure to Mold, should I seek Medical Attention?

The presence of mold in any type of environment can lead to serious health problems among both children and adults. Mold grows in areas with warm, moist and damp conditions. If you have been exposed to mold, it is always important to seek medical attention to determine the extent of your condition. People who are asthmatic or prone to allergic reactions are more susceptible to mold because they have a compromised immune system. This article looks into the symptoms of mold poisoning and the reasons why you should seek medical attention after being exposed to mold.

Symptoms of Mold Poisoning

A set of medical symptoms related to mold exposure is referred to as mold poisoning. There are some types of mold that release chemical compounds known as mycotoxins once they are inhaled or ingested into the body. Since they are toxic in nature, they accumulate inside your lungs and body organs causing serious health problems.

Some of the common symptoms of mold poisoning include;

• Allergic reactions such as a runny nose, sneezing, and itchy eyes.
• Asthma attacks and difficulties in breathing.
• Sore throats and other respiratory infections.
• Extreme fatigue, headaches or migraines.
• Inflammation and painful joints.

Individuals who are sensitive to mold will experience more intense reactions after exposure to mold. Workers who have been exposed to great amounts of mold are more likely to experience severe reactions because of their occupational settings. Other people who are more susceptible to the effects of mold exposure are patients with a weakened immune system. These respiratory allergies and asthma attacks can be reduced through interventions that improve the air and housing conditions.

When to see a Doctor

After mold exposure, you are likely to experience any of the above symptoms of mold poisoning. This can either be caused by inhaling or ingesting mold spores accidentally when at home or at work. It is important to see your doctor once you notice any of these symptoms as they will carry out a thorough diagnosis and determine the procedure for treatment. People suffering from a respiratory infection such as pneumonia or bronchitis need immediate medical attention after mold exposure.

Although you may experience any of the above symptoms, it does not necessarily mean that they are being caused by mold exposure. Your doctor is in a better position to determine whether the symptoms are as a result of exposure to mold after a diagnosis. If it is found that mold is the major cause of the symptoms, they will provide necessary treatment and recommend inspection or removal of mold in your home. If your exposure to mold is on a daily basis, then mold treatment may be of limited effectiveness.

Risk Factors of Mold exposure

Several factors can worsen your existing symptoms of mold allergy. These include, having a family history of allergies and living in a house with high humidity. Moisture and humidity are the major conditions that accelerate the growth of mold in a home. If you are working in an occupation that makes you susceptible to mold exposure, you need to take precautionary measures by using safety clothing and equipment.

Another risk factor of mold exposure is living in a house with poor ventilation. Moisture can be trapped indoors because of tight door seals and windows, thus preventing proper ventilation. Damp areas such as basements, kitchens, and bathrooms are most vulnerable and can cause repeated mold-related illnesses if no remedial action is taken.

How to decrease Mold Exposure?

Mold is present in areas with high humidity, cut grass or compost piles. People who are very sensitive to mold should always avoid such areas when they are spending time in the outdoors. The growth of molds inside a home can be controlled by improving ventilation and controlling the levels of moisture and humidity. Since basements are often overlooked when cleaning a home, it is important to ensure that all items are kept dry and away from cold walls.

Check for any signs of water leakage or cracks on walls and ceilings. The main idea is to cut off any sources of moisture and poor ventilation as they are the favorable conditions for the growth of mold. Always wear safety clothing when cleaning up affected areas or working in places with large amounts of mold.

There are no established standards for judging whether there is a normal, acceptable or tolerable quantity of mold. Always take precautionary measures to ensure that your home is free of molds or any conditions that can lead to their growth. After you are exposed to mold, it is always important to seek medical attention to prevent serious health problems and mold-related illnesses.

Related Posts