Menu Close

5 Most Common Symptoms of Toxic Black Mold Exposure

Apart from being costly to remove, black mold is known to have detrimental health effects on anybody exposed to it. If you suspect that your house has black mold, it is good for you to understand symptoms of exposure, as this can help keep you and your family safe. This is exactly what this article explains.

  1. Respiratory Problems

Mold has been linked to respiratory problems, as it causes breathing issues among people exposed to it. Since life is in the breath, respiratory issues caused by black mold can end up being fatal. Breathing and respiratory complications caused by too much exposure to black mold are chronic or long-term. Black mold symptoms can even lead to asthma, sinusitis, lung disease, and lung cancer. These complications can be accompanied by symptoms such as nasal congestion, wheezing, watery eyes, labored breathing, coughing, and chest congestion. The nasal passage is the pathway for black mold spores to get into your lungs. Therefore, black mold exposure is usually associated with nasal passage and lung disorders.

  1. Fatigue and Weakness

Exposure to toxic black mold can make you lack physical and muscle strength, making you feel like you need extra energy and effort to move your legs, arms, and other muscles. Since fatigue is just a symptom, it can signify other health conditions. Therefore, it is important to get your house tested for black mold in case you happen to feel weak and fatigued for no good reason. In normal occasions, weakness and fatigue go away after a few days. However, with black mold exposure, this symptom can last for weeks. This kind of muscle weakness requires you to visit a doctor as soon as possible to have the condition diagnosed.

  1. Poor Memory

Some toxic black mold exposure symptoms include forgetfulness and confusion. Exposure to this type of mold for a long time can make it difficult for you to focus on work or other activities, think clearly, or make decisions. Poor memory can be accompanied by other early advanced and late symptoms like feeling anxious, numb, hopeless, and sad, loss of interest in hobbies, feeling restless, or having trouble sleeping or sleeping too much. If you start experiencing such symptoms, you should pay your physician a visit to diagnose and treat the problem. It would also be essential to have your house tested for black mold, as this could be the cause of your symptoms.

  1. Nerve Issues

Your nervous system is responsible for all bodily functions, from controlling your muscles to regulating your breathing. Exposure to toxic black mold can cause nerve damage, which is a condition that damages the nerves in your spinal cord and brain. It can also happen in peripheral nerves located all over your body. Nerve damage can be accompanied by symptoms like lightheadedness, too much sweating, constipation, bladder and sexual dysfunction, numbness, and weakness.

  1. Digestive Complications

Exposure to toxic black mold can also cause digestive complications such as diarrhea, constipation, bloating, and stomach pain. In normal occasions, digestive issues are usually short term and easy to control with simple lifestyle changes. However, toxic black mold exposure can cause digestive issues over the long term. The main reason behind this is that the body works hard to clear mold spores from the upper respiratory system before they reach the lungs. The toxic mold is then deposited into the gut, where it awaits excretion. This means that exposure to toxic black mold over a long time can eventually lead to accumulation of black mold spores in the body, which can harm the digestive system.

How Can I Get Rid of Black Mold

The first step you need to take to get rid of black mold is to identify its presence. This can only be achieved through the help of a professional, as they have the needed equipment to do the test. After identification, your expert will advise on the steps you should take to remove the mold. If you are dealing with accumulated black mold, it is advisable to let a skilled professional handle the removal. This is the only way that you will be able to keep you and your family safe.

Black mold is known to infest homes and other buildings, especially where dampness prevails. Long-term exposure to black mold is very dangerous and has been linked to a variety of symptoms, as aforementioned in this article. With this information, you should be better placed to identify black mold and deal with it accordingly.

Related Posts