Menu Close

4 Ways Mold Can Affect Young Children

Children are more susceptible to the effects caused by mold than adults because they have not developed their immune systems. They also have the risk of having a hereditary issue with mold. Because of this it is important to make sure the environment your children grow up in is as safe as possible. And while there is no guarantee that mold can be eliminated from a home, precautions can be made.

These are four ways mold can affect children.


As well as coughing, streaming eyes, wheezing and runny noses are all signs that a child may be affected by mold, or air born mold spores. Homes with children are often kept slightly warmer than they might usually be, and with the almost constant cleaning of both children, and their surroundings, there is quite often moisture on surfaces. These two things are all that’s needed for mold to thrive. So when cleaning, it is vital that everywhere is dried afterwards, reducing where possible the chance of mold growth.


Breathing in mold spores can stimulate respiratory problems, often making them much worse. One common condition is asthma, which can be very prevalent in younger children, some of whom go on to grow out of it. The air born spores often bring on acute asthma attacks, especially outdoor mold. Children with asthma should avoid being around vegetable gardens or freshly mown grass, as the concentration of mold is likely to be particularly high.


Children with sensitive skin can often find that exposure to mold can lead to a flare up in their condition. Eczema for example can be affected in a similar way to asthma. Living and sleeping in close proximity to mold can irritate the skin, causing an already painful and uncomfortable condition to get worse. While the skin can be treated, the cause of the irritation should also be dealt with, meaning removing the mold from the proximity of the child.


Children need a lot of sleep. They use up so much energy every day exploring what is around them that the only way to be able to do that again is to sleep. As seen above, mold can affect almost every aspect of a child’s life. This is also true when they are asleep. Irritation of the skin, difficulty breathing, and the other general signs of mold affecting the child can mean sleepless nights not just for them, but for the parents too. Removal of the mold will improve the quality of sleep the whole family receives.

While it is clear that many of the issues a child can have are genetic, their symptoms can be made worse by mold being present in a warm, and humid household. If your child is suffering from a condition like this, it is possible that you have an issue with mold. It can sometimes be difficult to spot, so there could be the need for a mold professional to check your home and advise you on any treatments if mold is present. For more information, call us.

Related Posts