Mold is one of those problems in life that everyone has to deal with at some stage. Bathrooms and kitchens are the most common areas to find mold growing, but any area of the house that is unusually wet or damp is at risk of developing mold.
Besides being unsightly, mold can have negative health effects on certain people. It also develops an unpleasant odor and long term can damage materials, like wood and carpet. As such it’s best to get rid of it as soon as it develops, and then address any issues of excessive moisture.
With winter coming to an end, you’re probably thinking about freshening things up around the home in time for spring. You might even be considering a big Spring Clean to start new, something that has been a tradition for many hundreds of years. In fact, 72% of US households still do an annual Spring Clean, according to the American Cleaning Institute. And of those people, 76% target the bedrooms in particular, 73% in the bathroom, 69% in the family room or the den, and 45% in the dining room.
So while you consider clearing out your closets and cleaning out the cupboards, it’s a perfect time to also take into account any mold or mildew that might have manifested itself in your home over the winter (or the previous 12 months).
Here are three ways you can help your home this Spring to become free from mold.
Hard non-porous surfaces
Hard surfaces such as tiles, granite and certain linoleum-like products are the easiest to get rid of mold, so these can be the best place to start. The mold generally grows on the surface and doesn’t really penetrate the material which makes it a whole lot easier to clean up. There are several home remedies you can use to create a cleaning solution, either making use of vinegar or a bleach product. These can be quite effective, but if you’re looking for something stronger, you can find specialist mold removal products for sale in shops.
Spray the affected area, leave it for a few minutes and then wipe it all away with a cloth. It’s advised to use gloves and a face mask as both the fumes from cleaning products and the mold can be hazardous to inhale.
Soft surfaces like carpets and unprotected wood can be a bit trickier. You can try a similar approach to hard surfaces, soaking the affected area and then scrubbing, or vacuuming with appropriate equipment, but there’s no guarantee. Worst case scenario is that you might need to entirely remove the affected area. Before doing that though, give a local cleaning service a call and ask them to give their opinion. They might have some special skills to save it.
Prevention is always better than cure, and equally so in this case. If you ever see mold growing you should work on it immediately. If you’ve noticed areas in your roof, or walls where it looks like damp is coming through, investigate and fix the source of the moisture immediately. Areas which regularly get damp should be dried whenever possible to prevent mold growing.