If you have allergies that affect you throughout the year, but you are not certain what the reaction comes from, you might be hypersensitive to the spores of mold or other fungi. Mold lives everywhere and disturbing a source of mold can make them airborne. Some spread in dry, windy conditions and others when humidity is high, but no matter when they spread, if you have allergies, you will be affected.
Signs of fungus spore allergies are most common through summer and early fall, but can occur year round. Unlike pollens, mold does not die with frost, and outdoor mold becomes inactive during the winter. Indoor mold grows in damp areas, and will often be found in the bathrooms, kitchens or basements.
There are a number of ways that you can actively help yourself when it comes to your sensitivity to these spores. We have come up with a list for you.
Know what and where to avoid
If you want to prevent allergy attacks, you need to understand what it is you are being attacked by. If you haven’t had professional medical testing done, research your local area to find out common mold types, and work out where they thrive, and try to avoid those areas as much as possible.
Inside your home, bathrooms, kitchens or basements are most common places to find damp mold, but places around your area where long grass grows, where there are a lot of dead trees or plant life, or where there are piles of damp leaves, are perfect examples of other places that mold can grow. Stay away from these areas if you can.
Greenhouses, farms, flower shops, construction sites, and dusty shops are also very likely places to find spores of fungi, so if you need to visit these types of places, it’s advised that you wear a dust mask or take allergy medication. Always follow up an encounter with mold spores with a shower, as this will wash away any mold spores that hitched a ride on your skin and in your hair.
Reduce moisture in and around your home
Make your home less mold-friendly. The key to reducing mold in your home is to control the amount of moisture in the air. You can buy what is called a hygrometer (an instrument used for measuring the moisture content in the air) from your local hardware store, that is less than ten dollars. Humidity inside your home should be below 60%, and between 35% and 50% is ideal. The best way to control the humidity in your home is through good airflow, and Dehumidifiers and air conditioners can help with this. An air-conditioning unit with a HEPA filter attachment will trap outdoor mold spores and keep them out of your house.
Get your house mold tested regularly
Undetected mold and moisture can destroy the value and structure of the home as well as create potential health risks. Getting your home tested for mold regularly ensure you home or building is mold free. Prevention is much better than cure, if you are showing consistent symptoms of allergies while at home, then it’s probably time you had testing done.