Menu Close

3 Things You Need To Know About Toxic Black Mold

toxic-black-moldThe home is a wonderland, full of amazing colors, things to see, smells to enjoy. Unfortunately, part of the color could be mold and there are actually a number of types of mold that can take up residence in your house.

The most common types of mold include aspergillus, cladosporium and stachybotrys chartarum and they come in a range of colors, from orange and green, to white and black.

Aspergillus is commonly found in food or air conditioning and is pretty allergenic; Cladosporium is usually green or black in colour and grows on the back of your toilet or air ducts – it is nontoxic but can cause red eyes, rash and give you a sore throat; while Stachybotrys chartarum is also known as toxic black moldand is very dangerous to humans because it produces mycotoxins. Unfortunately it can also grow in your home.

If you aren’t sure what to be aware of, here are three general things you need to know about toxic black mold.

1. It is usually slimy and has a dark black or dark greenish-black coloring. It also has a very distinctive smell – an odor that is musty. Based on these, it can be easily identified.

2. The fungi created from black mold feed on organic material and it is most likely to grow in places that are humid and damp (such as basements or crawl spaces). The fungi feed and grow in your insulation, drywall and your carpet. These fungi then release spores, which you then breathe in; which could cause a range of health issues.

3. There are a number of symptoms you should keep an eye out for if you think you have toxic black mold in your home.

Firstly, if you’re feeling tired a lot, getting dizzy or seem to lack all energy; this could be due to the release of the sedative Chloral Hydrate in toxic black mold. This can also cause headache, nausea, fever and vomiting.

One of the biggest symptoms of toxic black mold exposure is difficulty in breathing, asthma, wheezing or a burning feeling when you are trying to breathe. This is thanks to the mycotoxins which are released into the air.

The release of trichothecene mycotoxins can also cause issues with the brain, from disorientation and mood swings, to seizures and depression.

Toxic black mold can also cause allergies, so if you have a sore throat, sneezing, watery eyes or a rash on your skin; and / or any other symptoms mentioned – you need to get your home tested AND see a doctor.

The good news is that toxic black mold in the home is treatable, but it’s best to get professional assistance from a reputable company with the right equipment.

That way you know the removal is being done correctly and you can ensure your own health, and the health of everyone in the home, will improve.

Related Posts