As a home and/or business owner, you need to know how to prevent mold in drywall and in your basement. It’s important to be aware of how to prevent mold in wet carpet and mold growth on house plants. You should know the best tactic for crawl space mold prevention and find out the best method for mildew/mold prevention in general.
Find Out How To Prevent Mold Before It Starts
It is impossible to completely eliminate all mold spores indoors. Mold will always be found floating in the air and in house dust. For this reason, understanding how to kill mold and mildew is key to mold control. One form of mold prevention involves controlling water and moisture in indoors.
Call our Colorado office to discuss mold in your home or concerns you may have about mold.
Below are home remedies to kill mold:
- For mold removal and mildew control, wash mold off hard surfaces and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles and carpet may have to be replaced if they are contaminated.
- For toxic mold prevention, fix leaky plumbing or sources of exterior water intrusion immediately.
- Prevent mold and mildew by keeping drip pans in your air conditioner, refrigerator and dehumidifier clean and dry.
- Use exhaust fans or open windows in kitchens and bathrooms when showering, cooking or using the dishwasher.
- Vent clothes dryers to the outside of the home.
- Maintain low indoor humidity, ideally between 30-50% relative humidity. Humidity levels can be measured by hygrometers, which are available at local hardware stores.
- Look for mold behind cabinets or pictures on cold outside walls, where condensation can occur.
- Keep furniture away from outside walls.
- Check around air conditioners and furnaces for stagnant water. Keep these units serviced with regular cleaning of ducts and air filters.
If the home you are thinking of buying or selling has mold, do not panic! You can remove unusual mold levels from the home and bring it back to it’s original condition. REAL ESTATE DEALS DO NOT HAVE TO BE BROKEN!