There are many different types of mold, and the Aspergillus type includes hundreds of species itself. However, the best known of them all is black mold (or if you want to refer to it by its scientific name: Aspergillus Niger) as it is by far the most common species of the family. The dark and slimy mold that is often found growing wildly indoors, and can be found on vegetables, fruits, and plants, too.
The spores are everywhere.
When mold grows it releases invisible spores into the air that you are breathing. It’s essentially impossible to avoid inhaling these spores, it’s everything- in your home, on your seats, in the carpet, and even at the office. When mold is disturbed it releases even more spores into the air, which is why it is so important to allow professionals to deal with any mold problem you may discover in your home. They know how to deal with the issue properly to ensure the safety of everyone involved.
It can cause aspergillosis.
This is a condition which affects the respiratory system, it results in coughing, wheezing, and a shortness of breath. Those who have an already weakened immune system are at greater risk of infection. It can also cause other symptoms, such as headaches, itchy eyes, sneezing, congestion, hives, sore throats, runny nose, and rashes. Though, there are certain strains which can trigger life-threatening reactions after chronic exposure. People with asthma are at greatest risk of this as they are highly sensitive to Aspergillus.
There are certain areas which are at greater risk of encouraging the mold to grow. The biggest problem areas are the kitchen and bathroom, and anywhere else that experiences excessive build ups of moisture. The easiest way to prevent this from happening is to open windows to allow for air circulation. It’s also common in compost heaps and decaying leaves, so if you have anything like this you should ensure it is kept far away from your home.
The Species Are Oligotrophic
What does that mean? They don’t need nutrients to grow, which is why you will often see dark mold growing on the shower curtain, the wall, and on fabrics.
The mold got its name from aspergillum. The species was discovered by the biologist Pier Antonio Micheli, who also happened to be a priest. When he investigated the spores under the microscope he thought they looked just like a holy water sprinkler, hence the name.
Whether the mold in your home is Aspergillus or of another variety it should be removed immediately by trained professionals. The EPA recommends using a professional to remediate mold in your home or in your HVAC system. This is important for everyone, but especially for anyone who has health issues which may worsen due to mold exposure. They are living organisms and even when they are dead they will still release spores when disturbed. Undertaking the removal on your own is just not worth the risk so give us a call today.