Mold can lead to numerous issues with both your health, and your home. Although it can be hard to spot if you aren’t looking for it, mold can quickly grow in all sorts of nooks and crannies.
Mold thrives on moisture and warmth, which is why it is often found in bathrooms and kitchens, where growing conditions are at their peak. But did you know there are other less likely places to find mold? Here are some of the more obscure.
As an exposed inside area of your home, the chimney breast is an ideal breeding ground for mold. Regularly supplied with water from the opening on the roof, and being fairly well insulated mean that this area can see mold spread quickly. Getting into the already wet brickwork, mold can further compromise the strength of a wall, and in some cases can lead to the chimney breast rotting. Get a chimney sweep to check your chimney every couple of years, even if you do not use it for a fire place.
Have you ever opened the door of your washer and noticed a black gunk around parts of the rubber gasket on the door? If you have, then your machine has a mold issue. The presence of plenty of water and heat is perfect for mold growth, and this can easily be transferred to your clothes when emptying a load. Mold on clothes fibers can then be breathed in, causing respiratory issues.
Not just around the windows, but on your crockery, and pots and pans. If you put your dishes away after washing without properly drying them, there is a chance that mold can grow from the residual water and general heat coming from the kitchen itself. To avoid this, it is important that dishes and pans are dried well before returning them to storage, especially if they are not used very often. It is also a good idea to check that there is no mold on your cooking equipment before use, to avoid ingesting any mold that might be present.
Many people will take the time to clean and disinfect the areas around the door seal of the fridge to remove any signs of mold. It is a common place to look for it. However a mostly overlooked area is that of the drip tray underneath the fridge. It is out of sight, but for mold is the ideal place to grow undisturbed. Warm and moist, the drip tray should be cleaned regularly and disinfected to stop mold growth.
AC units by their nature are warm places with a high moisture content. Both of these combined lead to mold growth, which is especially dangerous in AC units, which may expel the mold into your home, causing them to be breathed in. For anyone with respiratory issues, this is a serious issue. Professional servicing is the best way to limit mold growth.
It is always a good idea to get a mold professional in to give your home the once over. They are experts in finding where mold hides, and can remove it from even the most hidden places. For more information, give us a call!