Mold sure is unsightly, isn’t it? When it’s covering your walls then you are likely going to want to cover it quickly to hide it. It doesn’t take a whole lot of time for those nasty spores to spread and suddenly you’re faced with a decision to give it a quick fix. There’s nothing beautiful about spots of green and black growing over your walls and because moisture allows it to grow quickly, the spread can be rapid.
One of the most popular and common methods that homeowners and tenants use to cover the issue is by painting it. While that may provide you with the solution that you are looking for, but it’s not dealing with the problem. Painting over the mold is just hiding it, it isn’t solving it.
The Health Issues
The biggest reason that people paint over mold is that it’s quick and easy, and they just have no idea how serious mold can be when it is in your home. Painting is not the same as remediation, it’s not going to remove the problem or kill it. This means that painting over it won’t help solve any health issues that you are experiencing because of the mold. If you aren’t yet experiencing health issues, having the mold in your home and allowing it to spread will eventually take its toll.
You can’t paint your walls until the mold has been treated properly. Even if you go out of your way to buy paint that is advertised as being mold resistant (or mold killing) the claims are rarely true. If there is mold covering your walls you need to deal with it first. The mold will just keep on growing, spreading, and will eventually eat through your fresh coat of paint.
This means that you’re throwing good money after bad to solve a problem that you aren’t sufficiently solving. The mold on the surface isn’t all that is there, the issue generally runs much deeper and if it gets into your walls then you are facing a much costlier remediation process.
Instead of painting, you need to call the professionals in to allow a thorough inspection to take place. This will allow them to take care of the problem and once this has been dealt with you can worry about decorations.
If you are a landlord and you choose to paint over a mold problem rather than dealing with it properly you are leaving yourself open to legal ramifications. Landlords must alert prospective tenants to the presence of mold, and while a quick paint job might seem like the cheapest solution. However, a lawsuit is certainly going to be more costly, especially if your tenant falls ill due to toxic mold exposure. Painting over mold just isn’t worth the risk.
Signs Of Paint On Top Of Mold
Do you suspect that someone has painted over mold in your home? There will be visible signs of this – even if it’s just a small area you will be able to see it and remember, that small problem can quickly grow into a big one.
Look for signs of bubbled paint, or chipping or cracks. If a pale color of paint is yellowing or turning yellow then this indicates water damage. If the walls aren’t flat, are bowed or bubbled then this also indicates there has been water damage.
This means there is a good chance you have mold growth beneath the paint and the first step is to find the leak that’s feeding it. Once you’ve done that you can call in the professionals to handle the mold remediation. Mold won’t just go away by itself and unfortunately, it comes with the potential to seriously harm your health. A paint job isn’t going to solve the problem, it’s going to give it the time to get worse.